The Lucey and Lucy Family History Web Site


Lucey & Lucy Family History


Lucey and Lucy Family History Web Site

..Miscellaneous Historical Information


Home Page
History of Surname
Ancestry Database
Early de Lucy History
Sigournay Surname
Earliest Records
Irish Lucey Origins
Check Database
Historical Information
View Cork Map
Request Manual Search
Link to Related Sites
About Rickmansworth
Site Search
Sign Guest Book


Full list of contents:

Five pages of misc.
historical data for
the surnames
Lucey and Lucy

 Click to view

Map: Family Origins

Map: Irish Origins


1066: Battle of Hastings
1154: Egremont Castle & Reginald de Lucy
1178: Lesnes Abbey & Richard de Lucy
1215: Magna Carta
1217: Robert FitzWalter, grandson of Richard de Lucy
1624: Richard Kingsmill & the Jamestown Muster
1766: Inhabitant List for Kilmichael, Co. Cork
1810-1824: Ballyvourney, Co. Cork Baptisms
1821: Census for Inchigeelagh, Co. Cork
1821: Census for Parish of Aghalurcher, Co. Fermanagh
1824: Pigot's Directory for Cork City
1824: Pigot's Directory for Bandon, Co. Cork
1827: Tithe Applotment for Ballyvournay, Co. Cork
1827: Tithe Applotment for Inchigeelagh, Co. Cork
1827: Tithe Applotment for Macroom, Co. Cork
1837: Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland
1839: Pigot's Directory for London
1846: Post Office & Court Directory for London
1846: Slater's Directory for Macroom
1851: Census for Devon, Norfolk & Warwickshire
1851-1853: Griffiths Valuation of Ireland
1859-1940: Lucey Wills & Administrations
1863: Boherbue, Mallow Baptisms
1864-1960: Ballincollig, Co. Cork Marriages
1875-1884: San Francisco Records
1881: Census for United Kingdom
1886-1892: Ballincollig, Co. Cork Births & Deaths
1891: Census for London & Middlesex
C1900: Inchigeela Townlands, Co. Cork
1538-1940: Immigration Lists to America
United Kingdom National Archive Records - indexed for Lucey
Early Luceys of Bermondsey
Early Luceys of Lorraine
Early Lucys of Ledbury
Early Lucys in America
Early Luces of Jersey
Casey: Report on Lucy Family of Co. Cork & Kerry
John O'Hart Irish Pedigrees & Lucy of Water Tymes
Hugh de Morville & Richard de Lucy
William Shakespeare & Sir Thomas Lucy
Charlecote Park, Warwickshire
Winchester Cathedral & Godfrey de Lucy
William Wootton Lucy of Marlborough
Bishop William Lucy
Sean Mor Lucy
Sir Henry William Lucy: Journalist
Charles Lucy: Painter
Robert Emmet Lucy: Bishop
Anglo Irish War
US Civil War Soldiers
William Lucy and Eagle Ironworks, Oxford
Denis Lucey (1834-1872) and his career in the Royal Navy
Ballyvourney Chlondrohid Inchegeelagh Kilmichael Kilnamartry Macroom

Charlecote Park, Warwickshire


CharlecoteNow owned by the National Trust for England & Wales and open to the public, Charlecote Park stands almost at the centre of England, on the banks of the River Avon. It is the family home of the Lucy family, whose ancestry stretched back to the Conqueror, a long line of Knights of the Shire. Of the earliest, Walter de Cherlcote, the son of Thurstane de Montfort, married in the eleventh century a daughter, Cecily, of the baronial house of the Lords Lucy of Cockermouth and Egremont in Cumberland. The present house was begun in 1551 by Sir Thomas Lucy, although the property had been in the family from the time of Walter de Cherlcote. Queen Elizabeth I spent two nights in the house in 1572 and in approx. 1583 William Shakespeare is alleged to have been caught poaching deer from the estate. Capability Brown landscaped the park around 1760 and between 1828 and 1844 a Victorian refurbishment added an additional wing and modernised the house. The house has not been changed since and the east elevation retains much of the Elizabethan form with pitched gables and octagonal corner turrets, finished with lead-clad cuplolas and weather-vanes. The gatehouse remains as the only original Elizabethan building to survive unaltered. The 180 acre park is all that remains of a significantly larger estate which included the adjacent village of Hampton Lucy. Within the great hall is a fine bay window filled with armorial stained glass bearing the arms of the Lucy family; white pike or 'luces' on a crimson ground and cross crosslets as well as the winged boar's head crest.

Sir William Dugdale, the famous antiquarian, visited Charlecote, Warwickshire in the 1630's to inspect and record the 'roll-of-arms' which had been preserved and maintained by the Lucy family for more than four hundred years.This priceless pedigree disappeared in a succeeding generation. Dugdale states that he was unable to ascertain the exact parentage of Cecily de Lucy, bom around l172, but was of the opinion that she belonged to the great baronial family of Lucys in Cumberland. It is probable she was the daughter of Reynold de Lucy, Lord of Copeland.

Regarding Daniel Lucy, the first Lucy recorded in America, we know that he emigrated to Jamestown Virginia in the "Susan" in 1624 and was given a patent of four acres of land on Jamestown Island. He served on two juries and died in 1627, owing five hundred pounds of tobacco to his neighbour, Richard Kingsmill, the cousin of Constance Kingsmill, wife of Sir Thomas Lucy of Charlecote. Daniel married Abigail, "the tanner's daughter" about 1617 in Warwickshire, England and their son Samuel (about 1618-1662) was born there. There is no doubt that Daniel was a near relative of the Charlecote Lucys. Research has suggested that he was the son of Timothy Lucy, the youngest son of Sir William Lucy (about 1510-1551) and Anne Fermer of Charlecote.

Map of Charlecote Park

  • View historical photographs of Charlecote in 1892
  • Details of the armourial stained glass at Charlecote

  • 1066: Those Accompanying William The Conqueror


    1066: Those accompanying William the Conqueror on his invasion of England in 1066 are recorded. Hugue de Montfort and Robert de Montfort, both ancestors of the ancient family of de Lucy from Charlecote, Warwickshire, are both listed on the plaque in the church at Dives-sur-Mer, Normandy, France, where William the Conqueror and his knights said mass before setting sail to invade England in 1066. It lists all the knights who took part in the invasion.

    1215: List of Magna Carta Barons


    There were an estimated 12,500 Anglo-Norman landholders at this time. In the Magna Carta are recorded the twenty-five surety barons (in theory, they were to become the virtual rulers of England), the Rebel Barons that opposed the King and those Barons that supported him. Many other barons and landed gentry choose not to publicly associate themselves with either side

    Geoffrey de Lucie (Lucey or Lucy) - signed in support of the King
    Richard de Lucie (Lucie, Lucy or Lucey) - signed in opposition to the King

    1178: Lesnes Abbey & Richard de Lucy


    Lesnes AbbeyThe hamlet of Lesnes, now in the area known as Thamesmead near London, came to notice in 1178 when the knight, Richard de Lucy, was ordered to build an abbey in the area as a penance for the infamous murder of Thomas Beckett in Canterbury Cathedral in 1170. He was excommunicated as one of the authors and fabricator of these corruptions. The four actually responsible were William de Tracy, Hugh de Morville, Richard Brito, and Reginald FitzUrse; men of families remarkable for their respectability, but destined, by their daring to commit the enormous crime and blemish the glories of knighthood and the honors of their ancestors with perpetual ignominy.

    In the aftermath, the knights were each set a task. De Lucy's was to build the monastery. The problem was that the site selected was close to a marsh, which was prone to frequent flooding from the nearby River Thames and the monks were expected to not only fend for themselves, but also to take responsibility for the river wall to prevent the floods. The abbey struggled for only a few centuries before it fell into disuse with the dissolution of the monasteries under Henry VIII, then ruin and eventually legend. The abbey was finally abandoned in 1525. Meanwhile, the local community had made the most of having an abbey so close by and a small village had grown up less than 500 yards from the grounds. 

    Abbey Wood struggled for a another few centuries with little development until 1848 when the North Kent Railway drove through the area on its way from Woolwich to Dartford. Today, the area is known as Thamesmead and is a town of more than 30,000 people.

    1154: Egremont Castle & Reginald de Lucy


    Egremont CastleIn 1120, Henry I gave the Barony of Copeland or Coupland, Cumberland to William le Meschin, who built a castle at Egremont between 1130-1134 on an earlier Dane fort mound above the River Ehen. William was the brother of Ranulf le Meschin, the Earl of Chester, both sons of Ranulf de Briquessart and Matilda, daughter of Richard le Goz, Viscount of Avranches. In 1154 Egremont eventually passed to Amabel FitzDuncan (aka Amabilis FitzWilliam), the second daughter of William FitzDuncan (son of King Duncan II of Scotland) and his wife Alice de Rumilly. She married Reynold or Reginald de Lucy (1137-1198/9), presumed son of Richard de Lucy, Chief Justiciar of England. Their son Richard de Lucy was born at Egremont about 1170 and his daughters all married into the family of de Multon who took the name de Lucy. However in 1200 Richard de Lucy was forced to sue his relatives to successfully confirm his claim to the Lordship of Copeland. He died on 12th December 1213 without leaving a male heir and is buried at the Priory of St. Bees.

    1851-1853: Griffiths Valuation of Ireland


    Griffith's Valuation, or the Householders Index, taken from 1851 to 1853 in County Cork, is a useful tool in the light of the deficiency in real censuses. It is mainly used when you do not know the parish your ancestor was from. The original index is housed at the Valuation Office in Dublin. Copies are widely available in genealogical libraries, including LDS, and at the National Archives, National Library, Ireland. Listed below are those with the surnames Lucey & Lucy.

    Abagail Lucy Dunmanus, East Skull
    Andrew Lucey Pickett's Lane St. Finbars
    Benjamin Lucy Lisnacon Dromtarriff
    Catherine Lucey Grange Carrigaline
    Catherine Lucy Caherdaha Kilnamartery
    Charles Lucy Cadroma Clondrohid
    Charles Lucy Loumanagh, South Kilmeen
    Charles Lucy Loumanagh, South Kilmeen
    Charles Lucy Tullalreada Macroom
    Cornelius Lucy Ballymakeery Ballyvourney
    Cornelius Lucy Cahernacaha Inchigeelagh
    Cornelius Lucy Clonfadda Clondrohid
    Cornelius Lucy Coolea Ballyvourney
    Cornelius Lucy Coolroe More Clonmeen
    Cornelius Lucy Curraleigh Clondrohid
    Cornelius Lucy Derruncollig Kilmocomoge
    Cornelius Lucy Dooneens Inchigeelagh
    Cornelius Lucy Dromanallig Inchigeelagh
    Cornelius Lucy Dunkelly, East Kilmoe
    Cornelius Lucy Pound Lane  Macroom
    Cornelius Lucy Prohus Clondrohid
    Daniel Loosey Mellifontstown Dunderrow
    Daniel Loucy Fonafora Fanlobbus
    Daniel Lucey Old Market Place Cork St. Marys Shandon
    Daniel Lucey Rathcool Dromtarriff
    Daniel Lucy Ballygroman Upper Desertmore
    Daniel Lucy Ballyvolane St. Annes Shandon
    Daniel Lucy Boolymore Dromtarriff
    Daniel Lucy Bridewell Lane  Macroom
    Daniel Lucy Coolmona Donaghmore
    Daniel Lucy Coolmona Donaghmore
    Daniel Lucy Curraleigh Clondrohid
    Daniel Lucy Derragh Kilnamartery
    Daniel Lucy Derryduff More Kilmocomoge
    Daniel Lucy Derrylahan Ballyvourney
    Daniel Lucy Derryvaleen Inchigeelagh
    Daniel Lucy Doonasleen, North Kilmeen
    Daniel Lucy Doonasleen, North Kilmeen
    Daniel Lucy Drishane Beg Drishane
    Daniel Lucy Garrane, South Dromtarriff
    Daniel Lucy Killowen Garrycloyne
    Daniel Lucy Kinahulla More Kilmeen
    Daniel Lucy Kinahulla More Kilmeen
    Daniel Lucy Knockanure Ballyvourney
    Daniel Lucy Laght Dromtarriff
    Daniel Lucy Maulnagrough Clondrohid
    Daniel Lucy Rath West Ballyvourney
    Daniel Lucy Ullanes West Ballyvourney
    Daniel Lucy Ummera Aghinagh
    Daniel Lucy Aunt Main St. Macroom
    Daniel Lucy Rodgers Main St. Macroom
    Daniel, Jr. Lucy Sleveen West Macroom
    Daniel, Sr. Lucy Main St. Macroom
    Denis Lucey Bailey's Lane St. Annes Shandon
    Denis Lucey Bailey's Lane St. Annes Shandon
    Denis Lucey Barrack Street Cork St. Nicholas
    Denis Lucey Barrack Street Cork St. Nicholas
    Denis Lucey Barry's Lane St. Annes Shandon
    Denis Lucey Pope's Quay St. Marys Shandon
    Denis Lucey Shandon Street Cork St. Marys Shandon
    Denis Lucy Augeris Inchigeelagh
    Denis Lucy Ballyburden More Kilnaglory
    Denis Lucy Caherkeegane Clondrohid
    Denis Lucy Cahernacaha Inchigeelagh
    Denis Lucy Charlesfield Clonmeen
    Denis Lucy Cloontycarthy Kilnamartery
    Denis Lucy Codrum Macroom
    Denis Lucy Coolkillure Fanlobbus
    Denis Lucy Coomnagere Ballyvourney
    Denis Lucy Dangansallagh Ballyvourney
    Denis Lucy Derrylahan Ballyvourney
    Denis Lucy Gurteenflugh Inchigeelagh
    Denis Lucy Inchibrackane Kilnamartery
    Denis Lucy Inchinashingane Macloneigh
    Denis Lucy Kilboultragh Clondrohid
    Denis Lucy Lackabane Drishane
    Denis Lucy Liscarrigane Clondrohid
    Denis Lucy Moher Cullen
    Denis Lucy Moher Cullen
    Denis Lucy Tooms West Macloneigh
    Denis Luosey Kilmacurrane Clonmeen
    Edmund Lucy Cashelisky Island
    Edward Luoney Glantaneatnagh, South Clonmeen
    Eleanor Lucy Ullanes East Ballyvourney
    Ellen Lucy Ullanes West Ballyvourney
    Ellen Luosey Creggane Kilshannig
    Ellen Luosey Glantane Kilshannig
    George Lowcay Town of Queenstown Bellvue-Terrace Templerobin
    Henry Lucie Old Cork Road, Bandon Kilbrogan
    Henry Lucy Coolflugh Matchy
    Honoria Lucy Ullanes East Ballyvourney
    James Luce Trienieragh Kilbolane
    James Lucey Common's Road St. Annes Shandon
    James Lucey Slattery's Lane St. Annes Shandon
    James Lucey Wise's Lane Cork St. Marys Shandon
    James Lucy Bawnatanaknock Clondrohid
    James Lucy Curraleigh Clondrohid
    James Lysatt Dromidiclogh West Kinneigh
    Jeremiah Luacey Coomfarna Skull
    Jeremiah Luacy Mauladinna Skull
    Jeremiah Lucy Curra Clondrohid
    Jeremiah Lucy Glantane West Clondrohid
    Jeremiah Lucy Glendar Clondrohid
    Jeremiah Lucy Knockanure Ballyvourney
    Jeremiah Lucy Labbadermody Clondrohid
    Jeremiah Lucy Lisboy More Kilnamartery
    Jeremiah Lucy Milleeny Ballyvourney
    Jeremiah Lucy Rathcool Dromtarriff
    Jeremiah Luey Coonmanore North Kilmocomoge
    Jeremiah Luocy Drominagh, South Dromtarriff
    Jeremiah Luoney Gortmore Clonmeen
    Johanna Lucy Annahala West Macloneigh
    Johanna Lucy Dunnamark Mill Lot Kilmocomoge
    John Luacey Ratooragh Skull
    John Lucey Godfrey's Lane St. Annes Shandon
    John Lucey Rushfield Kinneigh
    John Lucey Spring Lane St. Annes Shandon
    John Lucy Acres Litter
    John Lucy Bawnatanaknock Clondrohid
    John Lucy Boherboy,(Laharn, West) Kilmeen
    John Lucy Boherboy,(Laharn, West) Kilmeen
    John Lucy Caherdowney Drishane
    John Lucy Carrigacooleen Drishane
    John Lucy Curra Clondrohid
    John Lucy Cusloura Macroom
    John Lucy Dooneens Inchigeelagh
    John Lucy Duggan's Lane  Macroom
    John Lucy Dunisky Dunisky
    John Lucy Farrangeel Kilmeen
    John Lucy Farrangeel Kilmeen
    John Lucy Forahanagown Ballyvourney
    John Lucy Fuhery Ballyvourney
    John Lucy Garranenagappul Clondrohid
    John Lucy Kilmore Inchigeelagh
    John Lucy Knocknanagh Commons Kilmeen
    John Lucy Knocknanagh Commons Kilmeen
    John Lucy Lisnacon Dromtarriff
    John Lucy Main St, Bantry Kilmocomoge
    John Lucy Main St. Macroom
    John Lucy Mill Lane  Macroom
    John Lucy Old Barrack Rd, Bantry Kilmocomoge
    John Lucy Pound Lane  Macroom
    John Lucy Raleigh North Kilnamartery
    John Lucy Rathcool Dromtarriff
    John Lucy Shawn Na Guillghs Cross, Bantry Kilmocomoge
    John Lucy Sleveen West Macroom
    John Lucy Ullanes East Ballyvourney
    John Lucy Ullanes West Ballyvourney
    John Luosey Charlesfield Clonmeen
    John Luosey Gurteenard Clonmeen
    John Lysaght Bog-Lane, Fermoy
    Judith Lucy Derrynafinchin Kilmocomoge
    Julia Lucy Coolavokig Ballyvourney
    Margaret Lucy Bawnatanaknock Clondrohid
    Margaret Lucy Carragraigue Dromtarriff
    Margaret Lucy Coolea Ballyvourney
    Margaret Lucy Foonlane Ballyvourney
    Margaret Lucy Lackaneen Clondrohid
    Margaret Lucy Moanflugh Clondrohid
    Mary Luacy Balteen Skull
    Mary Lucey Town of Queenstown Cuskinny-Road Templerobin
    Mary Lucy Cloontycarthy Kilnamartery
    Mary Lucy Glananarig Clondrohid
    Mary Lucy Lisnacon Dromtarriff
    Mary Lucy Sleveen West Macroom
    Mary Lucy Ummera Aghinagh
    Mary Luosey Kilmacurrane Clonmeen
    Mary Luosy Claraghmore Drishane
    Mary Lysaght Cork-Road,(Duntahane) Fermoy
    Matthew Lucy Caherbirrane Clondrohid
    Michael Lucey York Street St. Annes Shandon
    Michael Lucy Ballygroman Upper Desertmore
    Michael Lucy Ballymakeery Ballyvourney
    Michael Lucy Coomnagere Ballyvourney
    Michael Lucy Derreenaling Ballyvourney
    Michael Lucy Derrynafinchin Kilmocomoge
    Michael Lucy Dromanallig Inchigeelagh
    Michael Lucy Knockanure Ballyvourney
    Michael Lucy Rathcool Dromtarriff
    Michael Lucy Woodside Carrigrohanebeg
    Miss ? Lysaght Mallow (The New Lane) Youghal
    Patrick Lucey Rochfort's Lane St. Finbars
    Patrick Lucie Laragh Kilbrogan
    Patrick Lucy Carrigbaun Inchigeelagh
    Patrick Lucy Charlesfield Clonmeen
    Patrick Lucy Curraleigh Clondrohid
    Patrick Lucy Kanturk, Bluepool, Upper, Clonfert
    Patrick Lucy Pound Hill Millstreet Drishane
    Patrick Lucy Rosnascalp Aghinagh
    Patrick Lucy Sleveen West Macroom
    Richard Lucey Tisaxon More Tisaxon
    Richard Lysaght Lackaroe (Glenbrook Road) Monkstown
    Samuel Rev. Lucey Brooklodge, Upper Ballydeloher
    Thaddeus Lucy Toms Lane, Bantry Kilmocomoge
    Thomas Lucy Ballygroman Upper Desertmore
    Timothy Luacey Ratooragh Skull
    Timothy Lucy Carragraigue Dromtarriff
    Timothy Lucy Cusloura Macroom
    Timothy Lucy Rosscarbery Market Square Ross
    William Luce Trienieragh Kilbolane
    William Lucy Carhoo Upper Magourney
    William Lucy New Inn Rathcooney
    William Luone Kilcrea Desertmore

    C1900: Townland Names for Inchigeelagh, Co. Cork


    Townland Names for Parish of Inshegulah, Co. Cork
    Townlands of the Parish of Uibh Laoire Co. Cork also called Inchigeela or Iveleary Parish. There are 118 townlands in Uibh Laoire. 107 are in the Barony of West Muskerry. The remaining 11 are in the Barony of East Carbery. Spellings vary from document to document. Recorded here are the spelling used in the Census Return.

    Barony of West Muskerry. Augeris . Bargarriff . Cahernacaha . Cappanaminna . Cappanclare. Carrig . Carrigbaun . Carrigleigh . Carrignacurra . Carrignadoura. Carrignamuck . Carrignaneelagh . Cleanrath N.. Cleanrath S. . Cloghboola . Cloonshear Beag . Cloonshear Mor . Cooleen . Coolnacrannagh. . Coolroe East . Coolroe West . Coomdorragha . Coomlibane . Coomroe . Cooragreenane . Coornahahilly . Coorolagh . Cornery . Curraheen . Currahy . Derreen . Derreenabourky . Derreenclodig . Derreendonee. Derreenglas . Derreenlunnig . Derreenacusha . Derrineanig . Derrygortnacloghy . Derryleigh . Derrynagree . Derryriordane North . Derryriordane South . Derryvacorneen . Derryvaleen . Derryvane . Dooneens . Dromanallig. Dromcarra North . Dromcarra South . Dromnagapple . Garryantornora . Garrynapeaka . Glasheen . Glebe . Gortafludig . Gortknockane . Gortaneadin . Gortatanavally . Gortaveer . Gorteenadrolane . Gorteennakilla . Gortnacarriga . Gortnahoughtee . Gortnaloughra. Gortnalour. Gortnamona. Gortnarae . Gortsmamorane. Graigue . Gurteenflugh . Gurteenowen . Illauninagh East . Illauninagh West . Inchi Beg . Inchideraille . Inchigeelagh . Inchigrady . Inchimore . Inchinaneave . Inchineill. Inchinossig . Kealvaugh Beg . Kealvaugh More . Keamcorravooly . Kilbarry . Kilmore . Lackabaun . Lagneeve . Lyrenageeha . Maulmore . Milleen . Milmorane . Monavaddra . Rathgaskig . Rossalougha . Rossmore . Scrahan . Scrahan More . Silvergrove . Teeranassig . Teergay . Tooreenalour . Tooreenduff . Tooreenlahard . Tooreennanean . Turnaspideog of East Carbery. Clogher . Coolcaum . Coolmountain . Lackabaun . Moneylea . Tullagh. Shanacrane East . Shanacrane West . Shehy Beg . Shehy More . Tooreen

    1875-1884: San Francisco Records


    Lucey & Lucy Surnames Listed in the San Francisco Newspaper Records for the Years 1875-1884:
    Lucey, Annie ... died in 1881 ... age 44
    Lucey, Cornelius ... died in 1882 ... age 52
    Lucey, Cornelius Joseph ... died in 1890 ... age 1
    Lucey, Dennis ... died in 1891 ... age 24
    Lucey, John ... died in 1878 ... age 22
    Lucey, John ... died in 1888 ... age 14 months
    Lucey, Michael ... died in 1879 ... age 2
    Lucey, wife of Michael ... died in 1890 ... age 26
    Lucy, George R. ... died in 1883 ... age 53
    Lucy, John P. ... married in 1884 to Bryson, Annie A.
    Lucy, Leah J. ... married in 1882 to McGuffeck, John R.
    Lucy, Lillie B. ... married in 1883 to Scott, David L.

    The Topographical Dictionary of Ireland
    Published in 1837 by S. Lewis & Co., London


    Ballyvourney1837: BALLYVOURNEY, a parish, in the barony of WEST MUSKERRY, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, 8 miles (W by N.) from Macroom; containing 3681 inhabitants. St. Abban, who lived to a very advanced age and died in 650, founded a nunnery at this place, which he gave to St. Gobnata, who was descended from O'Connor the Great, Monarch of Ireland. Smith, in his history of Cork, notices the church of this establishment, but it has since fallen into decay. The parish, of which the name signifies, "the Town of the Beloved," is chiefly the property of Sir Nicholas C. Colthurst, Bart.; it is situated on the river Sullane, and on the road from Cork to Killarney, and comprises 26,525 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £6073.15 per annum. The surface is very uneven, in some parts rising into mountains of considerable elevation, the highest of which is Mullaghanish: about one-half is arable and pasture land, with 70 acres of woodland. Much of the land has been brought into a state of cultivation by means of a new line of road from Macroom, which passes through the vale of the Sullane, and is now a considerable thoroughfare; and great facilities of improvement have been afforded by other new lines of road which have been made through the parish; but there are still about 16,000 acres of rough pasture and moorland, which might be drained and brought into a state of profitable cultivation. The river Sullane has its source in the parish, in the mountains bordering on the county of Kerry, and after intersecting it longitudinally pursues an eastern course through the parish of Clondrohid to the town of Macroom, to the east of which, at the distance of a mile, it discharges itself into the river Lee; there is also a lake called Lough Ivoig. Fairs are held on the 10th of May, July, Sept., and Nov.; and there is a constabulary police station. The living is a rectory and a vicarage, in the diocese of Cloyne; part of the rectory is comprehended in the union of Clenore and corps of the chancellorship of the cathedral of St. Colman, Cloyne, and part is united to the vicarage, forming the benefice of Ballyvourney, in the patronage of the Bishop. The tithes amount to £731.14. 7., of which £231.14. 7. is payable to the chancellor of Cloyne, and £500 to the incumbent. The church is a very neat edifice, in the early English style, erected in 1824 by aid of a gift of £600 from the late Board of First Fruits. The glebe-house was built at the same time, partly by gift and partly by a loan from the same Board. In the R. C. divisions the parish is one of the three that constitute the union or district of Kilnemartry; the chapel, a plain and spacious edifice, was built in 1830. There are three daily pay schools, in which are about 70 boys and 20 girls. The ruins of the conventual church are very extensive and interesting; in one of the walls is a head carved in stone, which is regarded with much veneration. Near these ruins is a holy well, much resorted to on the 11th February; the festival of St. Gobnata, the patroness, and also on Whit-Monday; and near the well is a large stone with a circular basin or font rudely excavated, the water from which is held sacred.

    Clondrohid1837: CLONDROHID, a parish, in the barony of WEST MUSKERRY, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, 2 miles (N.W) from Macroom; containing 5293 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the road from Cork to Killarney, and is intersected by the river Foherish, which rising in the mountains of Glaundave, runs nearly through its centre, and joins the Sullane near Carrig-a-Phouca. It contains 25,276 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £8070 per annum: of these, 50 acres are woodland, 8748 arable, 8898 pasture, 491 bog, and the remainder mountain and waste land. The waste land consists of rocky ground, which is adapted to the growth of timber, there being a natural growth of oak, birch, mountain ash, holly, and willow in the rocky districts. The bog is the most valuable portion of the parish, as it principally supplies the town of Macroom with iflel, besides furnishing the parishioners with firing for domestic purposes and burning lime. Great quantities of land have been brought into cultivation since 1812, but the state of agriculture has undergone little improvement; the old heavy wooden plough, or the spade, is still used. Towards the southern boundary, round Carrig-a-Phouca, are large masses of bare rock, with small patches of cultivable land interspersed. The mountains of Muskerryrnore, on the north, and of Mullaghanish, which form the boundary between Cork and Kerry on the west, notwithstanding their elevation, afford excellent pasture. At Prohus and Glauntane are extensive slate quarries, the latter producing slate of very superior quality; and veins of copper ore are numerous in the neighbourhood of the former. In the rivulet of Bawnmore are strata of excellent freestone, dipping almost vertically The old and new roads from Cork to Killarney, the former of which is the mail coach road; pass through the parish, and it is also intersected by a third road leading from Macroom to the Muskerry mountains. Within its limits are scenes of great variety and beauty particularly near Carrig-a-Phouca and Cushkeen-morrohy, the latter of which vies with the romantic scenery of Killarney or Glengariff, but being at a distance from the road is little known. The vale of the Sullane, with the lofty mountains and craggy rocks in its vicinity; presents a wild and romantic scene. The principal seats in the parish are Ash Grove, the residence of R. Ashe Esq.; Yew Hill, of J. Williams, Esq.; Mount Cross, of Mrs. Pearson; Hanover Hall, of J. Bowen, Esq.; and the glebe-house, of the Rev. R. Kirchoffer.
    The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Cloyne, and in the patronage of the Bishop: the tithes amount to £1034, of which £58.9. 6. is payable to the economy estate of the cathedral, and £975 10.6 to the incumbent. The glebe-house was erected by aid of a gift of £100, and a loan of £1500 from the late Board of First Fruits, in 1813: the glebe comprises 80 acres, of which 56a. 1r. 24p. belong to the economy estate of the cathedral of St. Colman, Cloyne. The church is a large plain edifice, erected in 1774, and rebuilt in 1829, chiefly at the expense of the rector. In the R. C. divisions this parish, with the exception of a small portion united to Kilnemartry; is a benefice in itself; in which are two chapels, one at Carriganimy, a small plain building; the other at Gurraneacopple, a large substantial edifice. The male and female parochial schools are situated on the glebe, and are supported by the rector. A national school is connected with the chapel at Gurraneacopple; and there is a Sunday school under the superintendence of the rector, besides two hedge schools. The castle of Carrig-a-Phouca is in this parish: it was built by the McCartys of Drishane, on an isolated rock in the vale of the Sullane, and consists of a square tower, still nearly entire, and one of the most perfect specimens of early castle architecture in the kingdom. The entrance is by a high craggy rock, up which not more than one person at a time can climb. In the mountains at Clashmaguire is a large heathen temple; many of the stones of which are nearly as large as those of Stonehenge. At Gurtavannir are two upright stones, and near them is a druidical circle. Not far distant is the table stone of a cromlech, besides many single upright stones of a large size, called Gollanes by the peasantry; In the vicinity of the glebe is a rock called the Giant's Table, surrounded by stone seats. In 1822, there were some disturbances at Carriganimy, during which the Tralee mail was plundered, and many of the peasantry were killed.

    Inchigeelagh1837: INCHEGEELAGH, or EVELEARY, a parish, partly in the Western Division of the barony of EAST CARBERY, but chiefly in the barony of WEST MUSKERRY county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, 6 miles (WS.W) from Macroom, on the road to Bantry; containing 5783 inhabitants. This place derives its name, Eveleary from the ancient family of the O'Learys, who were lords of the adjacent territory, and had the castles of Drumcarragh, Carrigneneelah, and Carrignacurra, which last was occupied by Connor O'Leary till 1641, when, joining in the civil war of that period, the whole of his estates became forfeited. The parish, which is situated on the river Lee, comprises 41,953 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £6267 per ann., of which about 200 are woodland, 130 common, 2500 arable, 12,000 pasture, 7000 bog, and the remainder waste. The surface is mountainous, rocky, and of wild aspect, but towards the east more level and in a state of profitable cultivation; the chief manure used by farmers of the eastern portion is lime brought from Anaghely, near Macroom, and by those of the western portion, a calcareous coral sand from Bantry bay. The principal seats are Boyle Grove, the residence of J. Boyle, Esq.; Lee Mount, of J. Barter, Esq.; Kilbarry; of J. Barry; Esq.; the glebe-house, of the Rev. Dr. Baldwin; and the Cottage, of the Rev. J. Holland. In the village is a constabulary police station, and fairs are held on May 31st, Aug. 31st, and Dec. 3rd, for attended, but have grown almost into disuse. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Cork, the rectory partly impropriate in the Duke of Devonshire, and partly united to the vicarage, which is in the patronage of the Bishop. The tithes payable to the incumbent amount to £400; there is a glebe-house, and the glebe comprises 242Y4 acres. The church, for the repairs of which the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have recently granted £168, is a very neat edifice, with a square tower, built by a loan of £250 from the late Board of First Fruits, in 1815. The R. C. parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church, and contains two spacious and handsome chapels, one in the village of Inchegeelagh, built in 1820, and considerably enlarged in 1830, at a total expense of £300; the other at Ballingearig, built in 1809, and since enlarged by a new cross building at a total expense of £500. There is a day school under the superintendence of the rector, who contributes to its support; the house is rent-free. There are four National school-houses in the parish; three were erected by the R. C. clergyman and his parishioners, one at Kilbarry, one at Inchegeelagh and one at Ballingearig; the fourth was built at Coolmountain in 1836, in aid of which the Commissioners of Education granted £30. They also gave a gratuitous supply of books, as a first stock, to each of these schools, and continue to rurnish them with books and school necessaries at half price; they also grant an annual sum of £40 towards the salaries of the teachers: the average attendance of children, both male and female, at these four schools, is 500. There is also a private school, in which are about 20 children, and a Sunday school. In this parish are the lakes of Googane-Barra and Lua, and the mountain pass of Kerninea. Googane, which is situated in a romantic and sequestered spot in the lofty chain of mountains between the counties of Cork and Kerry, covers an area of 800 acres, and is surrounded by a majestic amphitheatre of mountains, from whose rugged declivities descend numerous streams, forming interesting cascades, by which it is constantly supplied; towards its northern extremity is an island, richly planted with thriving ash trees, on which are the picturesque ruins of an ancient church, supposed to have been erected by St. Finbarr, who made this beautiful and sequestered glen his place of retreat. Near it are some cells, erected about the year 1700 by Father O'Mahony, who lived here for 30 years in solitude. The glen is still the frequent resort of devotees, and in the summer season is visited by numerous tourists. The river Lee has its source in this lake, and taking a north-eastern course to the bridge of Ballingearig, where it is joined by another mountain torrent, spreads a little below into a wide expanse, forming Lough Lua, which is 5 miles in length, and about half a mile in breadth, and in many parts expanding into bays of great extent and beauty; it abounds with char and fish of many other kinds; the banks on both sides are precipitous and richly wooded. The new line of road from Cork to Bantry passes along the whole length of its western shore, and near Lough Googane is continued through the mountain pass of Keminea. This extraordinary chasm, which is sometimes improperly called the Pass of Cooleagh, is about a mile in length, and from the minute correspondence and similarity of the strata on each side, appears to have been rent in the mountain by some convulsion of nature; the rock on both sides rises in a direction nearly perpendicular to the height of 100 feet, and in the fissures the arbutus, holly, yew, ivy; and various evergreens have taken root and with several rare plants thrive with the greatest luxuriance. The surrounding rocks are of the schistus formation, varying in colour from pale ash to the brightest vermillion, and passing through all the varieties of transition, from the softest clay-slate to the most compact trap. There are some remains of the ancient castles.

    1837: KILMICHAEL, a parish, partly in the Western Divisions of the Barony of EAST CARBERY, but chiefly in the barony of WEST MUSKERRY, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, 6 miles (S. S.W) from Macroom, on the road to Dunmanway; containing 6166 inhabitants. It comprises 20,835 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £9463 per annum; of these, about half is good pasture, one-third arable, and the remainder bog and mountain. The substratum is slaty; containing indications of copper, particularly in the bed of the river Lee, which separates this parish from Kinneigh. Here is a constabulary police station. The principal seats are Cooldaniel, that of J. Barter, Esq.; Carrigbuoy, of E. Barrett, Esq.; and Greenville, of B. Swete, Esq., in whose demesne are some lakes with great numbers of swans and waterfowl; also an ancient rath, now planted, in which a bag of copper coins, and several apartments, communicating narrow passages, have been discovered. The house was attached in 1822 by the Whiteboys, who were repulsed, and several of them killed. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Cork, episcopally united, in 1797, to part of the rectory and vicarage of Macloneigh, and in the patronage of the Bishop: the tithes amount to £692.6.2., and of the entire benefice to £942.6. 2. There is no glebe-house; the glebe comprises 7a. 1r. 18p. The church is a small ancient building. In the R. C. divisions the parish is the head of a union or district: ,comprising also Macloneigh, Kilmurry, and Dunisky, and containing three chapels, two in Kilmichael, and one in Macloneigh. The parochial school, in which about 20 children are educated, is aided by a donation of £12. per ann. from the rector; and there are four private schools, in which about 140 children are educated.

    Kilnamartery1837: KILNAMARTRY or KILNAMARTIN, a parish, in the barony of WEST MUSKERRY, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, 4 miles (S.W) from Macroom; containing 2604 inhabitants. It comprises 11,021 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £4262 per annum, lying between the rivers Toome and Sullane. Agriculture is backward, and the land is generally cold and unproductive; not more than one-third is in cultivation, the remainder being rough rocky pasture, bog, and marsh. Good building stone and inferior slate are raised in several places, and there are indications of copper ore. The principal seats are Raleagh, the residence of W Minbear, Esq.; Cahirdahy of H. Ashe, Fsq.; and the glebe-house, of the Rev. J. C. Mongan. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Cloyne, and in the patronage of the Bishop. The tithes amount to £420. There is a large and handsome glebe-house, for the erection of which the late Board of First Fruits, in 1814, gave £100 and lent £900: the glebe Comprises 29a. 0r. 28p. The church is a large handsome edifice with a square tower: it was built in 1808 by a gift of £600 from the same Board, and the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have lately granted £235 Drits repair. In the R. C. divisions it is the head of a union or district, also called Theronadromman, comprising the parishes of Kilnamartry md Ballyvourney, and part of Clondro hid, and containing a chapel at Caradagher, and one in Ballyvourney; the former is a large plain substantial building. The parochial school is supported by the rector, and there is one connected with the R. C. chapel, in which together about 50 children are educated; and about 120 are taught in three private schools. The castle of Kilredagh stands on a lofty hill and commands the passes of both the rivers which bound this parish. It was very strongly built, and remained tolerably entire till 1833, when a considerable part fell.

    Macroom1837: MACROOM, or MACROMP, a market and post-town, and a parish, in the barony of WEST MUSKERRY, county of CORK, and province of MUNSTER, 24 miles (W by N.) from Cork, and 145 (S.W) from Dublin; containing 6137 inhabitants, of which number, 2058 are in the town. This place is said to have derived its name, signi~ing in the Irish language "a crooked oak," from a large oak tree which formerly grew in the market square. It appears to owe its origin to the erection of a castle, which, according to Sir Richard Cox, was built in the reign of John by the family of the Carews. This castle subsequently became the property of the McCartys, and was repaired and beautified by Teigue McCarty, who died here in 1565. It was taken in 1602, after a long siege, by Sir Charles Wilmot, just as he was about to draw off his forces to Cork, agreeably to the orders of the Lord-President, who was apprehensive that its owner Dermot McCarty, having made his escape from him, would attempt to cut off the retreat of the besieging army. On this occasion the garrison were compelled to abandon the fortress by the breaking out of an accidental fire, which raged so furiously as to threaten its destruction; and the English forces rushing in, extinguished the flames, and leaving a garrison for its defence, marched directly to Cork. In 1650, the R. C. Bishop of Ross assembled an army of 4000 foot and 300 horse from the western part of the county, to relieve Clonmel, at that time besieged by Cromwell; but on the approach of Lord Broghill with 2000 of the parliamentarian cavalry, the bishop set fire to the castle and concentrated his forces in the park, where being attacked by Lord Broghill they were defeated and their leader taken prisoner. Ireton, being soon afterwards made president of Munster, despatched a party of his forces from Kilkenny to this place, which burned both the castle and the town. In 1691, the garrison was severely pressed by a body of native troops in the service of Jas. II.; but on the approach of Major Kirk with 300 dragoons, they abandoned the siege and retreated with considerable loss.
    Macroom till very lately was the joint property of the Earl of Ban-don and Robert Hedges Eyre, Esq., and received comparatively but little improvement; but since it became the sole property of the latter gentleman, considerable progress has been made in improving its appearance and the condition of its inhabitants. The town is pleasantly situated in a healthy open vale surrounded by hills of moderate elevation, and enlivened and fertilised by the winding course of the river Sullane, over which is an old bridge of nine arches adjoining the castle; and about a mile below it, where the Sullane receives the waters of the Lany, is another stone bridge of nine arches, about a mile to the east of which it discharges itself into the river Lee. The approaches on every side are through a long line of cabins, of which those to the west of the old bridge have been rebuilt in a neat and comfortable style and roofed with slate. It consists of one principal street, nearly a mile in length, and towards the western extremity having a wider space, in which is the newly erected market-house, forming one side of a square, of which the opposite side is occupied by the hotel and the castle gateway: the inhabitants are supplied with water from springs and public pumps recently erected by subscription. Though troops are frequently stationed here, there is no barrack: the proprietor of the town has offered to Government a sufficient quantity of ground rent-free for the erection of a suitable building for the accommodation of the troops. There are no fixed sources of public amusement, but the town is frequently enlivened by the lovers of field sports and steeple chases, for which the neighbourhood is celebrated. There are two flour-mills and two tanyards at present in operation; and there were formerly a distillery and salt-works, which have been discontinued. The principal trade is in corn, which is brought into the town daily by the farmers, and purchased on account of the Cork merchants; the quantity sold during the year 1835 exceeded 39,000 barrels. The market in on Saturday, and is abundantly supplied with butchers' meat, vegetables, and provisions at a moderate price; and from January till May there is a weekly market for pigs, many of which are slaughtered here and afterwards sent to Cork. From May till the end of the year, cattle fairs are held on the 12th of every month alternately in the town and at the village of Masseys-town, the property of Massey Hutchinson Massey, Esq., a little to the south-west. Here is a chief constabulary police force, for whose accommodation a handsome barrack has been built. A manorial court for the recovery of debts not exceeding £2 is held every third week before the seneschal, the jurisdiction of which is very extensive, comprehending several parishes in addition to that of Macroom. The quarter sessions for the West riding of the county are held here in December, and the petty sessions for this division of the barony of Muskerry are held on alternate Tuesdays. The court-house is a neat building of hewn limestone, ornamented with a cornice and pediment supported by two broad pilasters, between which is a handsome Venetian window and connected with it is a bridewell.
    The parish comprises 10,493 ½ statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act; about four-fifths are under tillage, the remainder being rough mountain pasture and bog; the system of agriculture is in a state of progressive improvement; there is little waste land, except the rocky parts of the mountains, and the bog affords an ample supply of fuel. There are quarries of clay-slate, which is used for building. In the mountains of Muskerry-More, consisting principally of schistose rock, and forming a detached portion of the parish, are several thin strata of freestone of very white colour and good quality; and in a rivulet on the south side is a thin seam of coal, which dips very rapidly. The scenery is richly diversified and in many parts beautifully picturesque, and there are several gentlemen's seats in the parish. Of these, the principal is Macroom Castle, the residence of Robert Hedges Eyre, Esq., who has converted the ancient castle into an elegant modern mansion, in which the old towers have been so perfectly incorporated as to be scarcely distinguishable from the rest of the building. During the alterations, a 321b. cannon ball was taken out of the walls. It is a spacious quadrangular structure with embattled parapets, and richly mantled with ivy on the side fronting the demesne, which is bounded on the north by the river Sullane, and extends over a beautiflilly wooded ridge to the south and west, including a spacious deer-park. Mount Massey, the seat of M. H. Massey, Esq., occupies a conspicuous site above the northern bank of the Sullane, and is beautifully encircled with a grove of fir trees. kockborough, the seat of T. Mitchel Brown, Esq., is pleasantly situated in a retired spot, about two miles to the west of the town, and is distinguished for the beauty and variety of its scenery, in which wood and water, barren rock, and verdant hill are pleasingly combined. Sandy Hill, the residence of Thos. S. Coppinger, Esq., is pleasantly situated, commanding a fine view of the castle and its wooded demesne. Coolcawer, the residence of W G. Browne, Esq., is situated about a mile and a half to the south-east of the town, and is embosomed in a richly wooded demesne. Firville, the recently erected mansion of Philip Harding, Esq., is romantically situated at the extremity of a picturesque glen on the northern bank of the Sullane, near its confluence with the Lany; and Coolehano, the seat of Richard Ashe, Esq., also recently erected, is pleasantly situated on the same bank of the river, but at a greater distance from its confluence. Codrum House, the residence of Massey Warren, Esq., and Codrum, of Edw Ashe, Esq., are also in the parish. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Cloyne, and in the patronage of the Bishop; the tithes amount to £480, and there are six acres of glebe. The church, towards the erection of which the late Board of First Fruits granted a loan of £1000, in 1825, is a small modern edifice in the later English style, with an enriched porch, and is attached to the tower of the ancient structure; it is situated at the western extremity of the town, opposite to the castle and close adjoining the bridge. In the R. C. divisions this parish is the head of a union or district, comprising also part of the parish of Ahieragh: the chapel is a handsome edifice, with a square embattled tower strengthened with buttresses and crowned with pinnacles; and there is also a chapel at Ahieragh. About 400 children are taught in the parochial school, which is supported by R. H. Eyre, Esq., the incumbent, and other Protestant inhabitants; and in a school held in the chapel-yard, aided by the National Board. There are nine private schools, in which are about 380 children; and a dispensary On the lands of Codrum, about half a mile to the west of the town, is a large stone of clay-slate inserted into a wall on the road side, with the following inscription still legible: D. E. 0. C. 1686. H. F FECIT., implying that Donald, Earl of Clancarty; caused it to be erected. On the same lands are the remains of an encampment, in which is a spacious subterranean cavern, the extent of which has not been ascertained; several pieces of iron and other metal, much corroded, and apparently portions of ancient military weapons, have frequently been found here; the entrance has been lately closed up, to prevent accidents to the cattle. There are two chalybeate springs, one on the lands of Ballyvirane, and the other, which has been recently discovered, on the lands of Cooleanne; the water is similar in its properties to that of Leamington; they are both much used and have been found efficacious in scrofulous and leprous diseases. Sir William Penn, a distinguished admiral, and father of William Penn, the founder of Pennsylvania, in America, was born at Macroom castle.

  • Further information on the origins of the Lucey family in Ireland


    Published by Norman Lucey

    © Copyright 1999-2024, Norman Lucey. All rights reserved.

    This page first published in 1999 and last updated on 2nd January 2024

    Forward to second page

    Next Page