William Lucy and Eagle Ironworks, Oxford
William Carter was an Oxford ironmonger, brazier and tinplater who opened his first shop in the High Street of Oxford in 1812. An early catalogue claims the firm was established in 1760, but the first business records date from 1812. He manufactured agricultural implements in local workshops before setting up his brass and iron foundry in Summertown, which in 1825 he moved to the side of the new canal in Oxford, providing improved transport for raw materials and his finished products. The company specialized in finished cast iron components such as pipes, lamp posts, ovens and fire baskets, plus ornamental ironwork for gates, railings, verandas and balconies.
When William Grafton became a partner they commenced the manufacture of printing machinery. Five years later,
in 1830 Carter moved to the Eagle Foundry in Leamington, leaving the business to his three partners, Grafton, Baker
and Briggs, and the factory became the Eagle Ironworks in 1838. The ironworks was located on Walton Well Road,
at the northern end of Walton Street and backed onto St Sepulchre's Cemetery. On Grafton's death in 1861 his partner,
William Lucy, took control and on Lucy's death in 1873 the name Lucy's was adopted for the company and their
products. William Lucy (b. 30 October 1837) was the son of William Castle Lucy and Susannah Browne.
This page created on 14th March 2009 as part of the
Lucey & Lucy Family History Website
Published by Norman Lucey
© Copyright 2009, Norman Lucey. All rights reserved.